Welcome to our Nursery class page!
A very warm welcome to our wonderful Nursery!
Please continue to visit our website to see what fantastic learning we have been doing in Nursery! We use Class Dojo in Nursery for regular updates of what learning is taking place and key information.
Miss Keogh – Class Teacher
Mrs O’Brien – Nursery Nurse
We have been learning about people who help us. When we came into Nursery, there was a fire engine! We have had so much fun dressing up as firefighters and putting out fires everywhere. We came to Nursery to find it was on fire! We had to put on our firefighter uniforms and put it out. Nursery recognised that we needed lots of water. We used washing up liquid bottles filled with water, jugs and paintbrushes. We all worked together and extinguished the fire.
We have learnt about St David’s day. He is the Patron Saint of Wales. We found out about why he is so important to the people of Wales. . We found out that if people wore daffodils and leeks, they were friends. We each took a daffodil home. We listened to a special prayer in our Collective Worship and some beautiful music sung in Welsh.
Nursery celebrated Lunar New Year. We have looked at the different ways that people celebrate. We ended with a meal of fried rice, noodles, prawn crackers and spring rolls. We enjoyed it and ate a lot! We tried to use chopsticks and took home red envelopes with gold coins in them for good luck.
Nursery have been thinking about colour. We looked at Concentric Circles by Wassily Kandinsky. We talked about what shapes we could see in his artwork and the different colours he used. We used his pictures and tried really hard to make our own.
Nursery had lots of fun exploring paint, colour and the different marks they make. Miss added washing up liquid and we blew huge bubbles that we printed on paper. We used pipettes to add drops to our paper and used straws to blow the paint. We also put paint on one side of the paper and printed it onto the other. All the way through we talked about the colours we were using and what happened when they mixed.
Fundamental British Values
The fundamental British values of democracy, rule of law, individual liberty, mutual respect and tolerance for those with different faiths and beliefs are already implicitly embedded in the 2014 Early Years Foundation Stage.
In the EYFS we strive to set the foundations of fundamental British values in a way that is relevant to their age and stage of development.
- We teach children to be kind and respectful of others;
- We teach children about the world around them and use the seasons, weather, British special days, etc. to plan meaningful learning experiences;
- We teach children to be part of their local community;
- We plan to celebrate festivals and mark special days from the world around us;
- We teach the children about compromise – that some of us believe one thing and some of us believe something different, but we can all play together in the same classroom and respect each other;
- We teach children to work together. We provide them with projects that involve everyone in the class. We plan group activities where children learn to listen, take turns and value contributions from each other.
- We teach children about the world in which they live – the world on their doorstep and the wider world;
- We teach children to listen to and respect each other.
STARTING NURSERY SEPTEMBER 2020
You should have received your welcome letter and 'starting nursery at Our Lady & St Philomena’s' information pack. Can you please return your admissions form to school as soon as possible and we will also need to see a copy of your child’s birth certificate or passport.
We hope to be able to give you a provisional start date for your child soon pending Local Authority advice and Government guidance.
Our induction arrangements have obviously changed this year and we hope to be able to offer you a chance to come into school in September, prior to your child starting nursery. You will be able to meet your child's teachers and have a look around our nursery base. Appointments for this will be sent once we know more.
Starting Nursery Induction Dates